1100 North Eutaw Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21201
Library Coordinator - Glennor Shirley
"The Heart of the Maryland Prison System is the Library."
Mission of the Libraries
Maryland Correctional Education Libraries provide an opportunity for all residents of Maryland Division of Correction and Patuxent facilities to meet their personal, recreational and informational needs.
Under the direction of professional librarians, an environment inviting access to resources and enabling services for use of these resources is maintained.
An emphasis is placed on providing high demand materials, in appropriate formats, to meet the broad range of literacy needs represented by this community.
- There are 12 full time and 10 satellite libraries across the state.
- Our libraries operate as Community Information, lifelong learning, and leisure reading centers.
- We use LSTA funds to enhance our collection and initiate special projects as: translating service descriptions to Spanish, introducing technology and data bases that provide lifelong learning , and special training programs for inmates.
- The Mobile Unit provides re-entry and transitional information services.
Each day more than 900 residents visit our libraries:
- To get answers to factual questions
- To read current newspapers and magazines
- To productively fill time
- To get up-to-date information
- To learn "how to do it" - Self-directed learning
- To get names and addresses of agencies and organizations
- To access self-help and positive inspirational readings
- To get information for decision making for self and family
- To get help with class assignments
- To seek sources that will help them to be more productive when they reenter society
- To attend programs on educational topics, including book discussions
Meeting the Needs of the Inmates
The more secure institutions are staffed by a librarian with an MLS. They do reader’s advisory, collection management, reference service, and programs. These librarians trained in reference interview skills:
- Assess each customer's information needs
- Identify existing resources and provide referrals
- Use electronic resources and deliver information in a timely fashion
- Do reader's advisory
- Train customers to use databases to do research